Friday, March 12, 2010

Photo Walk - Rock Canyon

For my friend Carolyn's second assignment, we ventured above the city of Provo to Rock Canyon hoping to capture the "beauty" of the Wasatch mountain side. I say "beauty" because, as a PNW girl, brown and dead don't speak to me the same way that green and ocean do. But it was the perfect afternoon for a hike, and I thoroughly enjoyed the exercise, both physical and creative.

rock canyon

footsie

DSC_0037

DSC_0039

up

plant_rock

DSC_0053

On our way back down the trail, we spotted a small cave up the side of the rock face, and decided to brave the slippery sediment with our flat traction-less shoes and climb up to it. What we found was a literal hole in the rock wall big enough for 2-3 people to lay down in side by side. And people must have done just that: there was graffiti on the side of the rock, and carvings and chalk doodles on the inside of the cave; burnt firewood was scattered all over. Below are my two favorite "cave drawings".

DSC_0066

DSC_0061

vertical

DSC_0086

DSC_0073

DSC_0089

DSC_0092

I love how beautiful the Provo temple looked this afternoon. I took advantage of this rare opportunity of having my camera with me near the temple to take some photos. I try to get photos of the temples I've been to, and despite living so close to this one, I hadn't been able to get any shots. But now...voila!

DSC_0097

provo temple

Some heart confetti at the intersection of No. Temple Drive and 9th East. Evidence of a missionary farewell perhaps?

DSC_0114

2 comments:

  1. Great job Rachael!! When I first moved to Utah, I had a real hard time with the "beauty" of Utah like you are. However, as time wore on, I did see the true beauty (notice this is not in quotations, because it is beautiful) in it. While it is different from WA, and green and water (which I too love), these pictures made me miss Utah a little. While winter is not my favorite season in Utah, Spring and Fall are! :) Again, great shots! I love the one of the temple that you posted as your teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolness Rach!! I love the picture of Moroni... the light is so white and pure and bright it just had so much symbolism for me :) You got some really great shots!!! You should take pictures of me and Ben!! haha

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm a Senior at BYU studying Genetics and Biotechnology. Graduation is just around the corner -- time is flying by! This blog is for all my friends and family around the world who want to keep up with what I'm getting up to.